Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Exotic Route, A Haven for the Thrill-Seeking Gastronome

Pinoys are known for their huge appetites. Admit it, we love to fill our empty stomach particularly with  the usual classic Filipino dishes and the like! We can be gastronomic in our own rights!

But have you ever tried going the "exotic route"? What I'm trying to say is that have you made an effort on trying something unusual to your taste buds, something that can make you think twice or more before having your fill? To be honest, the only exotic food that I've tried in my entire being is the Crocodile Sisig, well if you can consider "balut" in that category then that'd be an addition.

Today, I just had my share of the unusual. I have been featuring a variety of dishes here in Davao since last week, and to complete my story I thought of featuring exotic food. Then there's this certain restaurant in Crocodile Park which is widely known for its "crocodile" recipes but never did I know that they offer more bizarre, non-croc menus.

Here in Riverwalk Grill, I can simply say that this is the perfect place for every  adventurous foodie! It is an outdoor resto with a somehow native ambiance. You can have a pretty scenic view of the Davao river. Plus we had the chance to go inside their kitchen and watch the chefs doing their thing. Moreover, the aroma of the place is totally inviting!


Riverwalk Grill at Crocodile Park, Maa, Davao City



Crocodile Meat in flesh (literally). Wuhoo!

Riverwalk Grill's manager Mr. Dhoods Cane accompanied us throughout the course. He was just too nice and accommodating. I was only asking for the Spicy Bat delicacy but he included the Ostrich Steak and Ostrich Sisig to my surprise. Not only that, he also had us served with the classic chicken barbecue and pancit canton. Delish!



Top to Bottom : Crocodile Sisig, Crocodile Steak, Spicy Bat (each at 460 php/ serving)


Rice and Classic Chicken Barbecue


Frankly, I was hesitant to give that Spicy Bat a try but in the end I tasted it. (A certain specie of fruit bat which they've imported all the way from Maguindanao. Only two servings were left, lucky us we had one!) Sorry to say, but my taste buds weren't that happy. Perhaps the taste is just unfamiliar. Instead, our driver was the one who devoured the whole plate. BUT I just looooove the Ostrich Sisig. Up to now I can still remember its taste, how its spicy and sweet flavor seeps through my taste buds. Two thumbs up! And the medium rare Ostrich Steak was a definite winner too. Funny how I can compare ostrich's meat to a cross between chicken and pork. Haha. Let's not forget the grilled chicken and pancit canton that were undoubtedly scrumptious!

To sum it up, this gastronomic experience is just memorable. For those who aren't that adventurous like me, I recommend you to give it a try. It's nice to be venturesome once in a while! 

Choose Philippines! Choose Davao! :)



My cameraman and I are ready to fill our tummies.


Two-thirds of Team Habhab enjoying their "exotic" food trip.


With Riverwalk Grill's s Manager, Sir Dhoods.


Boom, the aftermath!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com